Why Has Littelfuse Stock Failed To Outperform The S&P, Despite Strong Sales Growth?


Littelfuse Inc. (NASDAQ: LFUS) stock price rose around 40% from $172 in 2018 end to $240 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its revenue. Additionally, the company, a producer of circuit protection products and a variety of electronic switches and automotive sensors, witnessed a rise in its P/S multiple over this period, and its revenue per share has also increased, despite a roughly unchanged outstanding share count. Even then, the stock has underperformed the S&P, which returned roughly 55% over this period.

In our interactive dashboard, Why Littelfuse Stock Moved: LFUS Stock Has Gained 40% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.

LFUS’ Total Revenue has grown 30% from $1.7 billion in FY 2018 to around $2.2 billion on an LTM basis

  • LFUS’ total revenue first dropped from $1.7 billion in FY ’18 to $1.4 billion in FY ’20, before bouncing back strongly to $2.1 billion in FY ’21, and currently stands even higher at $2.2 billion.
  • Despite weak numbers in FY ’19 and FY ’20, the company’s recent jump in sales means that revenue numbers now stand almost 30% higher than its FY ’18 levels.
  • As of FY ’21, LFUS’ largest segment is the Electronics segment, making up around 62% of the company’s net sales, with Transportation and Industrial sales bringing in the remaining 38%.
  • For details about LFUS revenues and comparison to peers, see Littelfuse Revenue Comparison

Revenue per share increased 31% from $69.13 in 2018 to $90.71 currently

  • LFUS revenue rose from $1.7 billion in 2018 to $2.2 billion currently, while the outstanding share count decreased marginally from 24.9 million in 2018 to 24.7 million currently.
  • Due to this, RPS has risen from $69.13 in FY ’18 to $90.71 currently.

Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for LFUS surged from 2.5x in 2018 to 4.4x by 2020 end, but has pulled back to 2.6x currently, still slightly higher than its 2018 level

  • Despite LFUS’ weak performance between 2018-end to 2020, its P/S multiple rose strongly from 2.5x in 2018 to as high as 4.4x in 2020, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding a jump in demand for the company’s products.
  • However, due to the increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 2.6x.
  • For additional details about the company stock returns and comparison to peers, see Littelfuse Stock Return Comparison.

What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.

Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios

See all Trefis Price Estimates


Source link

Jaime E. Love

Next Post

Ask Amy: I need advice on balancing grieving and getting on with my life

Sun Jul 24 , 2022
[ad_1] Dear Amy: I have not long ago experienced considerably tragedy in my daily life. Our relatives is reeling. I had some very shut family members move absent and have been mourning that I pretty out of the blue missing my uncle my sister lost her child at 6 weeks. […]

You May Like